January 24, 2012 by themagicherb
While having a conversation on what to eat and what to avoid, the topic of bananas came up. It is one of my favorite fruits but I heard that too much of them were bad for you. I really wanted to know why and how much is too much bananas??
This is what I found out -
Bananas are full of vitamins and minerals that are beneficial to your body. Eating the right amount can boost your energy levels and lessen the risk of disease. Eating one or two a day can help you reach your daily fruit recommended intake. However, eating more can actually create a nutrient deficiency and even make you gain weight!!
If gaining weight is your goal then it might be smart to add a few of these to your diet. They contain twice the calories as a cup of berries or an orange. Eating three to four bananas per day is about 350 to 500 calories that you are adding to your diet.
Now as you know too much of anything isn’t good for you but eating right amount can be just what you need.. Bananas contain potassium. A few bananas a day can have a lot of benefits.
- The high amount of fiber in them helps regulate bowel movement
- A banana smoothie with milk and honey is a great hangover remedy
- They naturally soothe heart burn
- The B6 vitamin in them helps with PMS
- The high levels of iron helps with anemia
- It neutralizes acidity in the stomach to relieve people with ulcers
- A type of protein called Tryptophan found in them helps increase serotonin levels, which in turn makes you feel happier
The list goes on for the benefits that bananas have, but like I said everything in moderation. Too much potassium is bad for you. It can potentially lead to heart damage and cardiac arrest.
So my opinion.. If you’re trying to lose weight bananas might not be the right choice of fruit. A few of them a week could be good for you but you might want to search for other alternatives that have the same benefits and less of the undesirable attributes.